This enjoyable colour mixing artwork exercise is ideal for youths in grades 2 and up. Initially, I created this venture to have fun our “a hundredth Day of Faculty“, however youngsters will take pleasure in doing this anytime! Your college students will achieve priceless colour mixing expertise whereas making a frame-worthy piece of artwork.
The instance above was created by a 2nd grader in a 50-minute artwork class. These college students have been already conversant in mixing secondary, intermediate, and tertiary colours from my Create Your Personal Shade Wheel lesson, which that they had accomplished beforehand. This made it doable to provide college students some fast instructions and allow them to get proper to work.
a colour mixing artwork exercise & problem
After making their very own colour wheels, my college students have been feeling very assured about their colour mixing expertise! So I challenged them to combine 100 totally different colours utilizing solely crimson, yellow, blue (turquoise on this case), black, and white. They have been excited for the problem!
We started with a really fast assessment of colour mixing. Then I gave the directions (under), demonstrating every step as I defined it.
(For detailed, step-by-step directions with pictures, a printable template, and a colour mixing assessment, please see my “Combine 100 Colours” useful resource in my TPT retailer.)
For this venture, you’ll need:
- Cardstock or watercolor paper to color on. For this venture, I prefer to have college students paint on a grid for a clear, completed look. A grid additionally helps them hold monitor of what number of colours they’ve blended. Within the instance above, we used the template from my “Combine 100 Colours” useful resource in my TPT retailer. You could possibly additionally create your personal template or simply let college students fill their cardstock with small swatches of colour.
- Paper plate “palette”
- Liquid tempera paint: crimson, yellow, turquoise, black, and white
- Newspaper or a big piece of scrap paper for wiping paint brush
- Shade wheel poster for reference (optionally available)
(College students ought to perceive the fundamentals of colour mixing. If colour mixing is new for them, I like to recommend first doing my “Create Your Personal Shade Wheel” exercise in my TPT retailer.)
- Overview combine secondary, intermediate, and tertiary colours utilizing the three major colours: crimson, yellow, and blue.
- Overview including white to make a tint and black to make a shade.
- Then college students can begin mixing colours, portray a small swatch of every new colour onto their cardstock. Leaving slightly white house round every colour will make the colours “pop”!
- College students ought to clear their paint brush by wiping it on the newspaper or scrap paper when they should. It’s vital that they wipe the colour from their brush slightly than wash it. It will allow the good number of colours they’re making an attempt to attain.
- Encourage college students to combine as many various colours as they will, making an attempt to not repeat any colours. A enjoyable extension is to have youngsters consider names for his or her colours as they work!
It’s not important to color on a grid, as we did within the instance above. College students may additionally paint their colour swatches on plain cardstock to create a unique sample or design, or randomly, in no particular order in any respect. It simply turns into tougher to maintain monitor of the variety of colours painted in the event that they aren’t in some form of order.
To assist college students create a balanced composition, I made a template I may print on cardstock for them to color on. My template consists of 10 rows of 10 very gentle grey squares with some white house between every sq..
I didn’t need black outlines to point out across the painted colours, which is why I selected to make use of very gentle grey squares on my template. Portray on this template permits the colours to essentially stand out and “steal the present”.
You will discover my template, a number of ideas for achievement, and extra in my “Combine 100 Colours” useful resource in my TPT retailer.
Why no water?
College students might be used to washing their brush with water when altering colours. However not washing it is the important thing to creating a lot number of colour. So as a substitute of washing their brush, have them *principally* clear it by wiping it on their newspaper.
When college students paint with out water, the colours they make are simply unbelievable. That is as a result of small quantity of residual colour that will get left of their brush. (This method solely applies to liquid tempera paint, and to not watercolor, after all!)
Do this colour mixing artwork exercise with grades 2 and up
Solely six of my twenty-five 2nd graders utterly completed by the tip of our 50 minute interval. However the remainder have been very near ending after we needed to cease to scrub up.
Permitting a full hour for these youthful youngsters could be a good suggestion in case you’re in a position to. You could possibly additionally divide this venture into two periods, starting every session with a fast colour mixing assessment. Or you would go for a purpose of blending fewer colours than 100.
Nearly any age (even adults!) may have enjoyable with this venture and are available away with a brand new method for mixing colours. This was a problem for 2nd grade, however they LOVED it. I feel this colour mixing artwork exercise may change the best way these youngsters take into consideration mixing colours perpetually!
For a enjoyable variation of this venture (excellent for Valentine’s Day or Mom’s Day), attempt doing this similar colour mixing artwork exercise however with hearts!
Listed below are a number of remaining ideas for colour mixing success.
Affiliate hyperlinks are used on this publish. If you buy (something!) from Amazon.com by going by way of my website, I earn a small fee at no further value to you. Thanks for supporting Educate Children Artwork!